Wednesday 21 October 2015

Let us all take the oath of being honest. But is it that easy to keep up the promise. Think about it!!


             Honestly is Honesty the Best Policy


              Off late to get myself and my family hooked off from the over addiction of cell phone and I-pad, I decided to spend some quality time with family after 10pm and have some fun with a pack of cards.

         We conveniently started playing “bluff master” with cards. The object of the game is to get rid of all your cards as quickly as possible and you must be good at bluffing for this. The first person to get rid of all his cards is called the ‘Bluff Master’ and also the WINNER of this game. So basically you bluff and you win. It was great fun to play and yes we did enjoy bluffing and being tricky with each other.

After a few games don’t know what exactly struck my little devil of 11years and he asked me innocently, “Mamma, bluffing is so much fun and simpler then why do we say ‘Honesty is the best policy’? I was clueless, was in a perplexed state of mind. I said, “it’s just a game my love”. But I knew he was not convinced enough with my reply. 

       So tell me people, is honesty the actual best policy or it is acceptable to be dishonest and manipulative, keeping in mind the present scenario in our nation. Confused aren’t you? So am I.
Being honest, fair, trustworthy, righteous, authentic is something that we are taught from childhood but is it losing it actual worth and value in the 21st century. Is honesty getting the kind of respect and awe as it truly deserves??

        It’s is said one who sleeps a peaceful sleep is the one who lives his life in a virtuous way. A disturbed sleep is the first sign of dishonesty. An honest person is of good character and lives a satisfied and contented life because his conscious is clear. Such a person doesn’t have to worry about being found out. He is never gripped with the fear of being trapped or caught some day.
But unfortunately if you look around you will find different shades of dishonesty in the day today life and we are totally helpless. We just go with the flow. Because that is how the world runs and years roll on.





Bowling game of honesty and dishonesty





        Corruptions, scams, fraudulent acts are just crude names for dishonesty. This is what we get to read in papers in recent times. And ironically we ask out kids to read papers to keep themselves abreast with current affairs. Is this the affair that our country deals in? 
     However there is something known as ‘white lies’ which I personally feel is worth if it can do good to someone. A lies which may make someone’s day, say a life too. White lies is a kind of benign falsehood which is totally harmless and I believe each one of us has experienced in some way or the other.

        I once came across what Thomas Jefferson said “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom”. But I say honesty needs to be the first, second, third…… and everlasting principle in every person’s life only then can we peacefully coexist in this universe.
So let’s all make honesty our biggest asset and the trust me the rest will follow. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment